Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fly or Drive to San Antonio

At first, there were three young Seppi's longing to go
to Vision Forum's Christian Film Academy
so we bought flight tickets for them.
We have not flown since Feb. 1990
Dinah was six weeks old.
Now she's 19 years.
Victor ribbed Lance about
all he'd be missing out on.
It became almost unbearable,
all those great speakers and authors,
whom Lance reads, listens to on his ipod and quotes.
And he wanted to fly. It's been such a long time since he was two.
The memories are only faint, and boy, was he jealous!
The price of flying grew even higher.
We could have driven the entire family for the cost of one plane ticket.
Lance spoke about his concern for a church in Ridgecrest
where his good friend preaches half the time
and they watch a fine minister on video the other half.
I recommended he offer to speak there.
He did.
He poured hours and hours into preparation.
Regina helped him lay out his talk.
On Sunday morning
We dropped off the three at the
Bakersfield Airport on the way to Ridgecrest.
I loved Lance's sermon.
His delivery will improve with time,
but he certainly had our attention!
And his content was excellent.
We sensed God had sent him there
to equipt the saints.
When we got home,
we talked to the three in San Antonio.
Regina was glad to be there.
But she said something profound:
"I'd rather tote an ice chest into an elevator
and drive out with my family, than ride a plane."
Friends from Sacremento were driving out just for the festival
so Lance made arrangements to go with them
they swung by for Lance and Dinah
to join them on the long treck.
We pray God will bless their conversation
give them safe travel
and bring them back
to us.

2 comments:

Nick Jesch said...

Yes its a LONG drive for you... I made that drive to attend the first one, but I have to add two days to what yours would be. Fuel was a lot cheaper then, but I had a van with a bed in the back, so no hotel money. I can imagine flying out of Bakersfield would be rather dear, not being a major airfield and all. Road trips can be so much fun, too... I went alone, and didn't like the thousands of miles with no one to talk to. All that aside, though, I really wanted to attend this year's Festival, and had planned to. But our spate of real winter up here in Washington left me a good two weeks behind on things here.... and I felt it best to stay here and tend to business. I am looking forward to reading the various reports from others I know who DO attend. Three families from my own church are there, along with several others I know, either through their blogs (like yours) or face to face. I am so glad to know this event is so faithfully supported. I do believe it is on the leading edge of a profound change in our culture, and one SO badly needed. It fits in so closely with what Lance spoke on recently regarding education. The same things can be accurately said of media. Time to take it all back and turn it to God's glory.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lance for the wonderful
messege last Sunday . I was very blessed . I could tell he put a lot of time and research into it.
It is always really great to see young people willing to proclaim the gospel. Thanks for encouraging the young people of our congregation to make a difference in our nation.
Katie S.