Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Appeal to Governor to Veto Gun Control Bills by Peter Bringe

John Hickenlooper, Governor 
136 State Capitol 
Denver, CO 80203-1792 

Dear Governor, 

I understand that there are certain bills, such as, HB13–1229 and HB13–1224, coming before you to be signed which concern gun regulation. I respectfully urge you to veto these bills. As a citizen of Colorado, I am concerned with the declining freedoms and rights in our state. As a 19 year old, I am concerned with the direction of the future. Particularly in the area of gun regulation, it grieves me to see my neighbors and friends restricted in their ability to defend themselves against law-breakers. 

A gun is a tool. It can be used wrongly to unlawfully hurt and kill people, but it can also be used to save people. Instead of criminalizing certain guns or certain gun sales, I hope my government will punish the real crimes of murder, theft, etc... The tool is not evil, the action is. To punish that which is not evil is unjust. 


I recognize that the state has an important responsibility to punish evildoers and to defend its people, but our individual responsibility and rights makes it easier, not harder, for the state to do its job. When we have the ability to defend ourselves with lethal force against murderers, the police will have an easier job. The police cannot be everywhere at the same time. Our country’s founders recognized that for a free state to exist, the right of the people to keep and bear military-grade weapons must be protected. They put that right into the Bill of Rights to make sure it was protected. Many of our county sheriffs here in Colorado, including my sheriff (Elbert County), have strongly testified in favor of defending this right. The civil government, as you know, is designed to defend the people’s rights, not to take them away. 

I am sure this is not an easy choice for you to make. Standing for freedom and justice is not easy nor simple. I will pray that God would give you wisdom respecting this matter so that we, the people, may “lead a peaceful and quiet life” (1 Tim. 2:2). 

Respectfully yours, 

Peter Bringe
For Christ's Kingdom!: Dear Governor...

No comments: