Friday, April 25, 2008

Anthony Burger

I discovered Anthony Burger this morning looking for great music for Melody to grow her tastes and style on. I ran into Anthony on a list of recommended artists I’d taken from talking to Mark Almond, from Piano for Life.

Uncle Sam told me about him years ago, when he performed in Tulare with the Russell boys. Mr. Burger played one song faster and faster until stage smoke started pouring out of the piano.

As an infant, learning to walk Anthony fell into a floor heater, receiving 3rd degree burns on his face, hands and legs. He had to be carried on a pillow for a year, with three medicated baths a day. The Drs. predicted he would never be able to move his hands.

Burger said in his biography that “gradually, the Lord healed my hands because he had a job for me to do.” Anthony started playing at age 3.

Mr. Burger passed away two years ago while performing with the Gathers on a Caribbean cruse; he went to the piano, winked at his wife, and fell over dead of a heart attack while playing at age 44.

Anthony Burger & Mark Lowry, The "Duet"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2QO_a2YK1E&feature=related

No comments: