Sunday, October 28, 2012

How Did Christians Become Warmongers?



A recent report noted, “In 120 countries across the globe, troops from Special Operations Command carry out their secret war of high-profile assassinations, low-level targeted killings, capture/kidnap operations, kick-down-the-door night raids, joint operations with foreign forces, and training missions with indigenous partners as part of a shadowy conflict unknown to most Americans.

And folks, need I remind you that there are hundreds of thousands of our Christian brothers and sisters scattered throughout the Muslim world? In fact, Christianity is growing fastest within the Muslim world today. I have been to the Middle East. I have met hundreds of Palestinian and Arab Christians. And I can tell you unequivocally that they do NOT hate America; they are NOT our enemies; and they love the Lord and try to live for Him as much as any of us here in the United States do. And every day many of these innocent brothers and sisters of ours are being maimed and killed by the relentless missile attacks and countless wars being perpetrated by the US government. So, pray tell, how can we claim to be Christians on the one hand and be so callused to the suffering and death of our Christian brothers and sisters on the other hand? (And that is not to minimize the deaths of the tens of thousands of non-Christian innocents who are killed in these attacks, but to simply appeal to my fellow Christians with the Biblical “love the brethren” message.) How can we justify this carnage? Oh, it’s just “collateral damage,”


1 comment:

Cat said...

Please cite where evangelical Christians have advocated for war in Iran, and the other locations that the author suggests. Please also explain why you call anyone who supports Israel, and believs that to be the Biblical mandate, Zionists. Even if you believe that the state of Israel isn't the same Israel as reflected in Scripture, why use a pejorative to describe those people? You write much of the atrocities (as you perceive them) that Israel has perpetrated on Middle Eastern cultures, yet you mention nothing about the violence perpetrated on Israel. Why is that?

Since I just stumbled on your blog within the last few months, I've gone back and read some of the archives, and read old posts, etc. So, while this may be a bit out of context in terms of the most recent post, I have a couple of observations/questions about a different post. I have tried to make sense of what Dinah wrote about head covering. She wrote, "It makes me unique, which I love. It says 'I’m a Christian and not ashamed of it. Got a question?' I especially like wearing it in public. It identifies me as someone who has convictions. Searching people often ask questions. A homosexual asked me about why I believe in the God of scripture. Homosexuals especially love to wear the clothing of who they are. They want everybody to see what they are wearing and be reminded of their message. So do I." How does wearing a head covering identify anyone as a Christian to an unbelieving world? If you're out in public wearing what looks like a scarf, would someone really think, "Wow, that girl has convictions"? And, though the Bible teaches that homosexuality is sin, I am curious about what clothes the "homosexuals especially love to wear." What kind of clothing is that? Are there separate stores where they can buy that kind of garb?